BENSON — An electrical issue is likely the cause of a structure fire Tuesday that resulted in loss of a modular home and triggered a multi-agency response.

There were no serious injuries reported although one firefighter was treated and released, Benson Fire Chief Keith Spangler said, noting extent of that injury was not known.

The call came in at 6:30 p.m. from the home’s occupant in the 600 block of W. Pony Express Lane, explained Spangler.

“The renter said he was gone… then there’s smoke in the neighborhood and he pulled up to his house and the back of his house is on fire... so he got his cat and two dogs out of there and called 911,” the chief said.

The fire spread throughout the home’s attic area. Because it was beneath a metal roof, it posed some challenges for firefighters.

“It took us a while to get hold of it and the fire had moved throughout the rest of the roof area…it was difficult to get a handle on it,” said Spangler.

Benson Fire cleared the scene at 1:30 a.m. The incident resulted in mutual aid assistance from Pomerene, St. David, Mescal, and Sundance fire departments, along with Healthcare Innovations, SSVEC, city utilities, Cochise County Sheriff’s Office and Benson Police assisted.

“None of us out here could do it without the help of our neighboring departments… we continue to train together and we work well together,” said Spangler.

Load comments