A fire Saturday rendered an area Benson business “uninhabitable” and drew a multi-agency response.
Fire crews responded to the blaze at Frontier Fitness Club and Spa at around noon and encountered the smoke-filled structure and flames in the northeast corner of the building, said Benson Fire Dept. Deputy Chief Audie Holbert.
The business was open and there were people in the gym but not in the sauna area where the fire originated, Holbert said. There were no injuries, he said.
Firefighters kept flames contained to that portion of the building. The entire structure sustained smoke damage and the sauna rooms received fire, water and smoke damage.
“We’re determining it as unintentional or accidental and electrical as likely the cause,” the deputy chief said, noting some damage to the metal framing on the roof but nothing seemingly too serious in nature.
Pomerene, St. David, Mescal Fire depts and Benson Police Dept. provided assistance.
A sign on the door at the business at 496 N. Ocotillo Rd. alerts customers to the incident.
“Due to a bad fire we will be closed… sorry for the inconvenience,” it states, beneath the City of Benson building depts., “uninhabitable” alert.
Other than simultaneous brush fires in the area of Interstate 10, there were no complications, said Holbert.